Documentation-only packages

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Thu May 11 18:44:45 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> %{_datadir}/doc/%{name} would be better for people wanting to bookmark
> stuff.
Well, the kernel-doc package installs its Documentation to
%{_datadir}/doc/%{name}-%{version}, but is that something that should be
consistent in other packages (since that -doc is a subpackage and this is
not)?

> I think the only %doc stuff in this package should be docs about the
> manual, not the manual itself. After all, the purpose of installing the
> package is to get the manual, and if it was all %doc then anyone
> defaulting rpm to use --excludedocs would get nothing when the package
> was installed.
Ah. I see. Thanks. :)

> As the languages are distributed separately and could be updated at
> different times, it makes more sense to keep them as separate packages.
> Adding the language suffix is a good idea IMHO.
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail