package updates for in all repos at the same time (Was: Incoming: directfb soname problems)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun May 14 09:45:46 UTC 2006

Seems scop said all the important things about the problems with this
directfb update already so I like to use this opportunity to comment on
something related.

Am Samstag, den 13.05.2006, 21:44 +0300 schrieb Ville Skyttä:
> [...]
> The packages are built for all repos all the way down to FC-3 (an "EOL"d
> release).
> [...]

This (e.g. pushing a [major] version update to FE4, FE5 and devel at the
same time) is something I more and more dislike. Even if soname's don't
change -- every update bears a risk of breaking stuff (especially
updates to a new [major] version). Yes, often it works without problems,
but our experience and mails like
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-May/msg00332.html
show that sometimes things simply break now and then. We should do our
best to avoid that our users run into such problems.

That's one of the reasons why I still would like to have a testing repo
where all (or at least the major package updates) hang out some days
until they get pushed to the proper repo. And/or a policy (or make it a
strong suggestion to packagers) that "[major] version updates should be
build for devel first; builds for stable releases shouldn't be done
sooner than five days after the devel packages was published".

Security-updates of course are outside this scope and should of course
be pushed as fast as possible.

Just my 2 cent. Other opinions?

CU
thl