Kernel modules in Fedora Extras

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue May 16 02:24:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> Yes, if it is not known that something in the packaged modules
> *themselves* prevents them from working or makes them useless on some
> architectures (ExcludeArch), or if it is not known that the modules work
> or are useful only on a known set of architectures (ExclusiveArch).

  I agree on this.  ExclusiveArch is more of a hindrance to me; I always
end up having to add sparc/sparc64 to the list when updating packages to
Aurora.

> Consider someone running a custom kernel built for an architecture that
> is not shipped in FE (for example sparc or ia64 or pentium4 or whatever,
> these are just examples so ignore specifics and (non-)availability of
> the rest of the distro for the moment) and modules which per se are very
> much usable on that architecture.

  Actually, sparc isn't even a totally hypothetical example.  Our own
Dennis Gilmore maintains a sparc port of Extras for Aurora Linux, and is
rather successful, from what I've seen.

      Jima