question on Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue May 16 19:41:14 UTC 2006

Le mardi 16 mai 2006 à 14:09 -0500, Jima a écrit :
> On Tue, 16 May 2006, Neal Becker wrote:
> > In most cases, the work I submit will just be repackaging of other's work that
> > is available from the net.  (Actually I believe the vast majority of Fedora
> > packages are in that category).  So, it is not my 'original' work.
> >
> > For example, suppose there was a new browser, mudzilla, that is released under
> > GPL.  If I make an rpm package and submit it, I don't think section 5
> > applies, as it's not my creation.
>
>   If repackaging other people's (legitimately open sourced) work violates
> Section 5 of the CLA, then I think most of our CLAs have been violated.
> Unless I'm entirely mistaken, MOST OF US just package other people's work.

What the CLA means is you take responsability for checking what you
submit is legal. ie :
1. check licensing of source files
2. check licensing of any other material (spec example, scripts, images)
you reuse in your package
3. agree to license whatever you provide yourself on top of this in a
FE-compatible way

--
Nicolas Mailhot