buildsys-build (Was Re: BuildRequires - flex and bison)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed May 17 08:11:58 UTC 2006

Am Mittwoch, den 17.05.2006, 08:45 +0100 schrieb Paul Howarth:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 09:27 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> +1
>
> The new buildsys-build package, which replaces the use of comps groups
> in the forthcoming version of mock from cvs, still has dependencies on
> flex and bison and will hence pull them in to the default buildroot.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2006-April/msg00850.html
>
> Any other packages in the list that shouldn't be?

/me looks at
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/mock/buildsys-build.spec?root=fedora&view=markup
-- no changes since the import

Okay, I'd like to propose that we also remove the following packages
from the list:

automake15, automake, automake16, automake14, libtool, autoconf

They shouldn't normally be needed for building and there are even some
people that even say "you shall not use autoconf in spec files -- patch
the sources instead". In any case, having them in the default buildroot
sounds unnecessary to me. Or are there any good reason I'm not aware of?

And I'm wondering why we need those (hints why we might need them
appreciated):

openssh-server
doxygen
indent
byacc
ctags
gettext
gdb
createrepo
perl-XML-*

And we probably should synchronize it with the list we maintain at
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions
For example: python and intltool (probably others) are in the default
mock install, but not in the list from the wiki. perl on the other hand
is. Is there a good reason for that behavior?

CU
thl

/me is wondering if he should put this onto the agenda for the next
FESCo meeting