BuildRequires - flex and bison

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed May 17 15:18:06 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 09:27 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 01:26 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Both flex and bison are in the standard buildgroups, so they should
> > > not be listed as explicit BuildRequires in your spec file.
> >
> > To be precise, they _need not_ be listed explicitly (see
> > PackageReviewGuidelines). But it makes sense to list them.
> Facts, I consider to be defects of PackageReviewGuidelines.

Err... looking at what PackageReviewGuidelines actually says:

MUST: All build dependencies must be listed in BuildRequires, except for
any that are listed in the exceptions section of Packaging Guidelines;
inclusion of those as BuildRequires is optional. Apply common sense.

The only packages in the exceptions section are:

bash
bzip2
coreutils
cpio
diffutils
fedora-release (and/or redhat-release)
gcc
gcc-c++
gzip
make
patch
perl
rpm-build
redhat-rpm-config
sed
tar
unzip

Note the absense of bison or flex in that list. Thus, the Guidelines state that you should have BR: bison/flex if you need it to build.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!