scientific license - fedora compatible?

Tim Fenn fenn at stanford.edu
Tue May 23 10:40:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:18:00AM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 23/05/06, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> >The source is given freely to you and you can modify it as you like.
> >The restriction is that you cannot redistribute modified versions, you
> >have to send the patches upstream, only them can change the source
> >and redistribute modified versions.
>
> From my reading of the license currently under discussion, that is not
> the restriction.
>
> They basically say, you can redistribute modified versions as long as
> you make available to the patches for the changes you make.

My understanding of the library portion of the license was that making
the patches available to the CCLRC was only necessary if the changes
are NOT licensed under the (L)GPL (section 2.1.2).  There is also
something about an "executable program based on or combined with a
Library," whatever that means.

My intention by contributing the library to fedora-extras was to
exclude any non-(L)GPL patches/changes with the library itself, which
seems compatible with distribution under the CCLRC license, as well as
packaging the library for fedora.  I have no intentions on packaging
any of the "CCP4 Applications," so section 2.2 is moot.  Am I still
missing something?

Geez, perhaps there ought to be a fedora-legal list for this sort of
thing?

Regards,
Tim