scientific license - fedora compatible?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue May 23 15:25:47 UTC 2006

Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> Not that it should be taken as authority, but wikipedia has this to
> say about gnuplot:
>
> The program is distributed under a license which permits copying and
> modification of the source code. However, modified versions are only
> allowed to be distributed as patch files: as such, the gnuplot licence
> is not compatible with the GPL, and is not free software (according to
> FSF, DFSG, and OSI).

The assertion that gnuplot's license doesn't comply with OSI's definition
isn't clear (not to me anyway).   The only possible problem seems to be:

>From http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php
3. Derived Works
The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them
to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original
software.

As I see it, gnuplot *does* allow modifications... under the same terms...

-- Rex