PHP packaging guidelines

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Fri May 26 09:55:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:

> Would Smarty (in Extras as php-Smarty) be an PEAR or PECL package? It
> doesn't appear to me to be either,
Well, code-wise it could be considered pear, as the smarty engine is
written in pure-php code.

However, as the Smarty Template Engine is not part of pear, we can't
really put it in as php-pear-Smarty, isn't it?

So either we name it just "Smarty", as upstream does it, or we keep
calling it "php-Smarty". After all, the pear and pecl packages should in
case there's no collision do provide a php-%{name} package.
So, php-Smarty sounds somewhat sane.

But I guess Smarty is a somewhat border-case: Normal php-webapps should
not be required to be kept in a php-prefixed namespace, but one could
argue that Smarty is a base-package and thus should live in the
php-namespace.

bye,
 andreas