Naming guidelines question

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri May 26 14:38:36 UTC 2006

Hi,

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines says that
%{name} should use upstreams advertised name and/or tarbal name. But it
says nothing about capitalization. I thought that the rule was to always
use all lowercase even if upstream does things differently unless there
are arguments in favor of sticking to upstreams capitalization?

Also on the same page it talks about release candidates versioning and
it advices to use the final version this will become as version (agreed)
and to use the following as release:
0.%{X}.%{alphatag}

so we get:
0.1.rc1
0.2.rc1
0.3.rc2

Where as I have always used and have seen others use (mostly):
0.rc1.1
0.rc1.2
0.rc2.1

Which works fine 2. I understand that there are scenarios where this
scheme will break, but in the scenarios where I've used it / seen it
used it works fine, and I personally prefer this second scheme. Is it ok
to use my own discretion here, both for my own packages and when
reviewing? Or should things always be done as:
0.%{X}.%{alphatag} ?

Regards,

Hans