Naming guidelines question

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri May 26 18:12:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 10:25 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:49 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> > > I don't think the NamingGuidelines cover capitalization, but I don't think
> > > it unreasonable to lowercase everything.
> >
> > It would be good to enforce lowercase in the guidelines I think.
>
> Packager's discretion. If upstream always uses a case sensitive name
> (ORBit), then it makes sense to uphold that. I'm not going to force
> anyone to go all lowercase, but if the packager wants to do it, then
> they can.

Well, that's the worst of both worlds: you can never know what a package
is called because it might be CaSeSenSiTive or not. ORBit is a very good
example - I have to do "grep -i orbit" for it *every single time* I have
to look it up because I can never remember the exact case. If everything
was forced to lowercase you wouldn't have to remember or try and guess.
It seems to work fine for Debian but <shrug>

	- Panu -