Naming guidelines question

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri May 26 18:31:12 UTC 2006

> Not just browsing tarballs, but documentation that says 'You need
> PackageFoo' installed, or "You need ORBit2 to be able to use this,
> please install it through your vendor".  So the only way I would find
> acceptable a 'lowercase always' rule is if in each case we are breaking
> the upstream name we must have a Provides: UpstreamName .

No objections to adding useful Provides here.  Deciding what is
UpstreamName and what sources is a packager/reviewer expected/required
to browse through when making that decision would be problematic though,
but that problem already exists today for those packagers who don't yet
believe that all-lowercase is the right thing to do ;)

If the above is not acceptable now, how about turning things upside down
and keeping the current guideline in effect, but adding to it that a
fully versioned all lowercase Provides for the package's name must be
present if the package's name itself is not all lowercase (ditto
subpackages), and recommend that all dependencies would be spelled using
the lowercase form?  That would have some immediate benefits and would
pave way for a possible more thorough future policy change.