optional game music files

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon May 1 11:13:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 12:47 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Wart wrote:
> >
> > Some examples of content which are not permissable:
> >
> > * Ogg/mp3 files
> >
> > Since these ogg files are part of the game, but not part of the upstream
> > sources, are they still considered acceptable?
> >

> Since there has been no reaction for the last 12 hours, may I assume
> that no-one objects or?

IMO 12 hours is much too little time for doing something which appears
to be directly against the packaging guidelines, especially considering
that today is a holiday in lots of countries and probably considerably
less people than usual are reading their FE mail.  Patience, please.

I'm not saying that this case is not acceptable for inclusion, but it
sounds somewhat like being against the intended purpose or the "spirit"
of that rule.  I guess it depends on exactly how optional those files
are, how easy it is to properly install/remove them without them being
rpm-packaged, and whether anyone would have any complaints about their
inclusion if they'd be part of the upstream tarball which also contains
the actual game.

(There are some examples in the repo that I think would be better off
handled by end users themselves and not packaged, so one should apply
criticism when/if looking for previous examples.  One example are the
huge optional content blobs for uqm, of which only a subset changes
between releases which can't be sanely handled in the current
uqm-content package.  But the uqm case predates the guideline...)