optional game music files

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon May 1 13:03:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 13:59 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I know there are packages which could do with an upstream split in code
> and content so we could create seperate SRPMS for engine and content and
> thus easily (relative small download) upgrade the engine for bug fixes /
> new features.

Yes - replacing large amounts of content that does not change for a
small patch that has no effect on content whatsoever is an incredible
waste of bandwidth, which some people have to pay for on a usage basis.

There needs to be an exception defined to the rule for such cases, as
splitting the static content from the code is a practice that should be
encouraged, not discouraged.