Where to install application .py files?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri May 5 09:30:55 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to package some educational games written in python. Upstream
delivers a horrible INSTALL.sh which drops the .py files under:
/usr/lib/games/childsplay

Now this is obviously wrong IMHO, but what is correct. pirut installs
its .py files under /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut,
system-config-network installs them under
/usr/share/system-config-network. I thought that
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages was mainly for python modules / libs
which can be used by multiple python programs and that .py files which
are program code (iow not "sharable" / reusable) should indeed go under
/usr/share/%{name}.

Also on my 64bit system I have python stuff under both
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ and /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/

Thanks & Regards,

Hans