Where to install application .py files?

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Fri May 5 11:08:14 UTC 2006

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to package some educational games written in python. Upstream
> delivers a horrible INSTALL.sh which drops the .py files under:
> /usr/lib/games/childsplay
>
> Now this is obviously wrong IMHO, but what is correct. pirut installs
> its .py files under /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pirut,
>
> system-config-network installs them under
> /usr/share/system-config-network. I thought that
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages was mainly for python modules / libs
> which can be used by multiple python programs and that .py files which
> are program code (iow not "sharable" / reusable) should indeed go under
> /usr/share/%{name}.
>
> Also on my 64bit system I have python stuff under both
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ and /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Hans

The modules should go into

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/

and the rest should go into /usr/share/%{name}

check out yum, it install a the yum python module into

/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum

and the code for the yum client is installed into /usr/share/yum-cli.

it can depends on how the python application is coded, if you install a module in site-packages/ you can access the module by doing a

import modulename

in any python application, you can also install the module in
/usr/share/appl.name/modulename, but then it can only be used python application
located in /usr/share/appl.name/ .

I think the best way, is to install modules under /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ and the rest of the application in
/usr/share/appl.name.

This is the way i do it in yumex.

Tim Lauridsen
Tim