Packaging guidelines for web applications?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 7 17:32:03 UTC 2006

Should we a different set of packing guidelines for web applications.
At present there exists a directory: /var/www/  What exactly is
supposed to be put in this directory if not web applications?  Right
now it seems that most web packages get installed in /usr/share/
This, however, seems a bit un-natural to me.  After all if I were to
install a php app on the machine from source I, and I suspect many
others, would stick it in /var/www/packagename or
/var/www/html/packagename

I can't think of a single web-app that I've used that was designed
with FHS in mind and it seems a bit odd that we have to rig all of our
web apps with links and patches and things to get them to work in
Fedora.

Why don't we put all of our web content in /var/www/?  After all
/var/www/error/* and /var/www/icons/* are all things that seem like
they should be in /usr/share/.

         -Mike