weekly "new pacakges in Extras" (Was: Fedora Package Announcement List Split)

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon May 8 20:10:28 UTC 2006

Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> My idea would be to diff the owners.list and to create a repodata folder
> with the usual info, but about new packages only. Then the other
> repodata-aware tools would be available, including repo-rss and repoview
> (which already does groups). And the only thing left to do is to write a
> mail sender script which uses the repodata.

I've written some scripts about this:
 - fedora-extras-newest.py outputs on stdout a list of recently added
packages (in extras). It uses owners.list from CVS to do so.
 - repogrep.py takes one repo metadata and keeps only the packages given on
the command line. It creates a repodata dir with the usual metadata, and no
actual rpm in it (only the metadata).

Here's a way to use those scripts :
./fedora-extras-newest.py | xargs ./repogrep.py
And that will create an extras dir with a repodata subdir, with only the
selected packages.

Then, we can run the other repo scripts on it, like repo-rss and repoview,
which generate interesting output.

I've submitted today a patch to add groups support (as in comps.xml) to
repo-rss, so if it is included it will be very easy to create separate
feeds for new packages in a category. See bug 191061.

What's left to do is a script which sends the email reminder. Should be
pretty easy.

It should not be too buggy, please try that and tell me if there are things
to change.

Aurélien

PS: the only reference implementation of metadata creation is in createrepo,
right ? It would be nice to have a proper python module
(in /usr/lib/python2.*/site-packages/repomd for this task in the future...)
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -- Rich Cook