weekly "new pacakges in Extras" (Was: Fedora Package Announcement List Split)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon May 8 20:41:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 22:10 +0200, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> > My idea would be to diff the owners.list and to create a repodata folder
> > with the usual info, but about new packages only. Then the other
> > repodata-aware tools would be available, including repo-rss and repoview
> > (which already does groups). And the only thing left to do is to write a
> > mail sender script which uses the repodata.
>
> I've written some scripts about this:
>  - fedora-extras-newest.py outputs on stdout a list of recently added
> packages (in extras). It uses owners.list from CVS to do so.

>  - repogrep.py takes one repo metadata and keeps only the packages given on
> the command line. It creates a repodata dir with the usual metadata, and no
> actual rpm in it (only the metadata).

why is this useful? Why not just add support for a list of pkg
names/globs to repo-rss and cut out the middle man?

Alternatively why don't we take a step back and make a list of all the
features we want and write one tool that'll handle all of those items
w/o lots of intermediate steps.

I'll start with the feature set:

1. new packages to extras - including owners.list knowledge
2. rss feed of the new packages
3. rss feed of the new packages per-comps.xml-based group

what else?

-sv