License query

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri May 12 19:54:03 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 15:20 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
>
>>> It looks quite free apart from the "as long as ... you do not ... try to
>>> sell it" clause, which I think disqualifies it as free software despite
>>> what the first sentence of the license terms states. Is this OK for
>>> Extras or not?
>> I don't think so.
>
> That counts as a use-restriction license. I say no.
>
> (See if you can get the author to remove the "as long as you do not try
> to sell it" clause)

Exactly many authors unfortunatly come up with their own license, as a
games SIG member I've got plenty of experience with those. Usually if
the license already is 99.9% free a polite mail (exchange) is all it
will take to get a 100% free license. OTOH if the license is restrictive
(which this one isn't) your chances of changing the author's mind are
less good.

Regards,

Hans