Maelstrom license clause

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Sun May 14 17:21:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 13 May 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 04:30:39PM -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:

>> there is the following extra clause in a README file:
>>
>> "The artwork and sounds used by Maelstrom are copyright Ambrosia
>> Software (http://www.ambrosiasw.com) and may not be redistributed
>> separately from the Maelstrom public GPL release."
>>
>> Is this something that makes incompatible with Fedora's licensing
>> requirements?
>
> It isn't consistent with the GPL which the total package is supposed
> to be under, so it's an invalid license add-on, or the total package
> is not GPL.

I doubt it. It may be clumsy wording but I read it as "look, Maelstrom is
GPL, this also goes for the graphics and stuff" i.e. just a clarification,
not a license clause at all. The GPL already forbids you to remove the
license from a package, so I don't think it's GPL incompatible.

It actually says you may redistribute the artwork and sound separately as
long as you send a copy of GPL with it, which is exactly what the GPL
already mandates.

Linus