question on Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA)

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 19:05:18 UTC 2006

I am about to send in CLA.  I have cleared verbally with my employer legal,
but I'm a bit stuck on one clause:
    5. You represent that each of your Contributions is your original
       creation (see section 7 for submissions on behalf of others).
       You represent that your Contribution submission(s) include
       complete details of any third-party license or other
       restriction (including, but not limited to, related copyright,
       atents and trademarks) of which you are personally aware and
       which are associated with any part of your Contribution.

In most cases, the work I submit will just be repackaging of other's work that
is available from the net.  (Actually I believe the vast majority of Fedora
packages are in that category).  So, it is not my 'original' work.

For example, suppose there was a new browser, mudzilla, that is released under
GPL.  If I make an rpm package and submit it, I don't think section 5
applies, as it's not my creation.