dealing with "contrib" type directories

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun May 21 03:31:22 UTC 2006

A couple of the things I package have "contrib" directories, and I'm
wondering what the appropriate method is for dealing with them.

Traditionally, I put them in %doc, which seems like a reasonable enough
place.

This brings me to my second problem:  dependencies.  rpm automatically
extracts dependencies from all executable scripts in a package,
including those listed in %doc.  To get around this, I have to chmod all
of the files in contrib directories to be non-executable.

Is this the correct way to handle things?  Is there a better way?

-Chris