scientific license - fedora compatible?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Tue May 23 14:41:16 UTC 2006

On 23/05/06, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/05/06, Quentin Spencer <qspencer at ieee.org> wrote:
> > I haven't read the license, but your descriptions sound similar to the
> > license for gnuplot, which is in core. You may want to look at its
> > license. I think it says that modifications may only be distributed as
> > patches.
>
> Your synopsis is broadly right - modified versions must be distributed
> as original source plus patches.
>
> http://gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net/gnuplot/gnuplot/Copyright?view=markup

Not that it should be taken as authority, but wikipedia has this to
say about gnuplot:

The program is distributed under a license which permits copying and
modification of the source code. However, modified versions are only
allowed to be distributed as patch files: as such, the gnuplot licence
is not compatible with the GPL, and is not free software (according to
FSF, DFSG, and OSI).

One could ask why it's still in Core... it certainly sounds like it
shouldn't be. If, like me, you make daily use of gnuplot, that idea
might not fill you with joy.

J.