OT: Media format patents and commercial installations

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri May 26 15:29:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 11:20 -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> I suspect that it is harder than you suggest. I bought hardware from $OEM
> you used to work for just before you left. When I realized that I did not
> have the same versions of the $OEM RPMS/SRPMS that came installed on the
> machines I requested them from $OEM. It took them 2 weeks to get the
> $OEM RPMS/SRPMS that came installed on the machine. The hardest part for
> me was convincing $OEM that $OEM RPMS/SRPMS were not on the FC3 cd's they
> sent with the machines. They did finally get them to me but I was told they
> needed to contact you after you were gone, to get the SRPMS.
>
> This is not a complaint, $OEM did the right thing and a year later I am very
> happy with said hardware. It is just an example of things that are not always
> as easy as they seem.

The difficulty there was $OEM did not track things for crap.  And the
workspace I had got rm'd and thus went the SRPMs.  It would not have
been hard at all if there would have been policy about where to get
those rpm/srpms from, a central repository, CVS tracking, etc...

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora