OT: Media format patents and commercial installations

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 27 01:45:52 UTC 2006

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 17:59 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>> Does the Third Party/OEM have to "recertify" with the Fedora Board if
>> they want to change/update a package on the release? I'd argue that if
>> they were merely updating it with newer Fedora content (aka, Fedora
>> Core/Extras updates), then they do not, but any other changes (adding
>> new packages not from existing Fedora Works, modifying Fedora Works
>> beyond what was originally documented and approved) would require a new
>> "trademark certification".
>>
>> I'd also like a page on the wiki that lists all approved Third Party/OEM
>> efforts, where each item links to the documented modifications.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> This is pretty good IMHO.  Would it be worthwhile for one of the
> guidelines to require that the fedora-release package be
> installed/retained?  This would dictate that at least the official
> repositories are referenced, which would mean that a user of any FCn
> $OEM edition would be able to install the full range of official Fedora
> software.  This would avoid situations in which users complain about a
> "broken" $OEM edition which doesn't include expected software.
>
> Perhaps there are other "make or break" packages of this type.
> fedora-logos?  kernel*?  Just a thought...
I reckon this is a good idea. It would mean that an OEM system installed
elsewhere can at least have easy (if not automated) Fedora security
updates installed (as long as it has a net connection).

In terms of naming/branding, another possibility would be "built upon",
where an OEM uses their own branding but refers to the underlying
work/branding of Fedora. Something like "Company Media Experts releases
the Presentation Publisher tm 4 system built upon Fedora tm" ?

DaveT.