Free enough for FE

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Nov 2 09:51:37 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 21:39 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> So if I'm reading this correct then there are no objections?
>>
>> I'll let this thread "run" for a couple of more days and if there are still no objections then, then I'll start working on a package.
>
> I asked the FSF on this one (they're usually pretty responsive) and
> their initial feedback is that this should be ok.
>
> This maps up with my feelings on it too, so go ahead and package it.

Great!

I assume / hope that this means it is ok to move scummvm from that other repo to FE
too? Since AFAIK the rule for emulators (interpreter in this case really), is that
when there is free content to use them with it is ok.

The license I posted is from the "Beneath a Steel Sky" and "Flight of the Amazon Queen"
data files now released by their owners under this license, these are two games of a
short list of games which were written for other operating systems using a virtual
machine kinda setup for easy portability. ScummVM is a re-implementation of that virtual
machine for a brother range of operating systems including Linux. ScummVM itself is
licensed under the GPL

In the case of "Beneath a Steel Sky", the scummvm support for this title (there were
severant different revisions of the scumm virtual machine) has been added with support
of the original copyright holders, they even gave the scummvm team access to the sources
of the original game to help them support it! So I assume this means that scummvm is ok
for FE?

Regards,

Hans