Maintenance policy for older releases

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:41:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I notice that with certain packages, only the FC-6 tree carries the
latest release. The FC-5 release would be stuck at the last release of
the software that was out before the release of FC-6, likewise with
FC-4, ... .

Since FC-5 is still being supported in Core, what is the official line
of what Extras need to support? I can understand a maintainer being
uncomfortable releasing something he has not tested himself, but for
essentially bugfix releases it's probably better than nothing (and
that's what bug reports are for anyway).

On the other extreme, is it OK to keep pushing updates for deprecated
releases, if the packages do not have other packages depending on
them? (So it won't trigger the need to rebuild other,
potentially-unmaintained, packages)

Thanks,

--
Michel Salim

Don't worry about avoiding temptation -- as you grow older, it starts
avoiding you.
                -- The Old Farmer's Almanac