Package removal request?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Nov 10 00:47:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 19:27:31 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:

> > On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:48:13 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> >
> > > I accidentally pushed python-nltk-1.4.4-3.1 for Fedora Extras 3 when
> > > updating the package to comply with the new Python packaging policy.
> > > It depends at runtime on python-numarray, which is Fedora >= 4 only.
> > >
> > > Could this offending package be removed from the repository? Also,
> > > python-nltk-1.4.2 might have to be removed from FE3 - upstream claimed
> > > it only depends on python-numeric, but on closer examination I found a
> > > file that depends on numarray as well.
> > >
> > > If there's a more appropriate channel for this request, please advise,
> > > and I'll use it if I need to request the removal of 1.4.2 as well.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/RepoRequests
> >    (linked from the Extras main page)
> >
> Ah yes. Sorry for not noticing that. Incidentally, what constitutes an
> update? Would pushing a new package with a lower version number do it,
> or would a manual removal be required in this case.

Publishing packages with a lower version number is an invalid operation,
even if the current release may refuse to install due to bad dependencies.
Remember, highest EVR wins, so your old package would not even be seen
after the usual RPM version comparison as long as the newer one is also in
the repository.

Just request package removal (I could do it based on what you write above,
but you're not clear about python-nltk). It's not complicated to remove
packages. Removing the src.rpm will suffice. The binaries are killed
automatically when they lose their mother src.rpm package.