Seamonkey

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Nov 10 10:07:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:16:41 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Kofler wrote:

> > ... and since we are working on eliminating the differences between these two
> > repositories, it is completely unnecessary to do package movements at this
> > point. Where was this discussed anyway?
>
> Look at the fedora-legacy-list archives. RHEL already got Seamonkey as a
> replacement for Mozilla months ago. Now there's yet another set of security
> holes, apparently rated critical (in addition to all the pending ones!). So
> it's urgent to do something about this, waiting for Core and Extras to merge is
> not a good idea. Legacy is going to push Seamonkey as a Mozilla replacement for
> FC3 and FC4, so it only makes sense for FC5 to get the same treatment. FC6 and
> FC7 are NOT affected because they don't ship the vulnerable Mozilla Suite
> 1.7.x, so Seamonkey is (AFAIK) not going to move to Core for these releases.
> Ask Michal Jaegermann from Legacy and Christopher Aillon from Core for details.

Aha. So, the message in the "dead.package" file could have read:

  The SeaMonkey Fedora Extras package for FC5
  will be moved to Fedora Core _5_                        <-- (!)
  and it will made to obsolete the Mozilla package.

IMO, it's somewhat intimidating that in order to learn about the background
of such package movement it is pointed to _another_ mailing-list. I would
have expected this to be a topic on fedora-devel-list.