beryl: missing deps

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Mon Nov 20 16:19:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 19:43 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Jarod Wilson schrieb:
> > On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 17:33 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >> CCing jwilson at redhat.com, owner of beryl
> >> Then why the heck was beryl build for FC-6 if it was known that some
> >> hardcoded deps were not yet in cvs and not ready to be build? People
> >> will run into issues that way when using yum and thus the it's just a
> >> totally stupid thing to do in a stable branch (and even quite bad in the
> >> deel-branch, too).
> >> /me is getting more and more annoyed with all those broken deps and
> >> broken upgrade paths (some of them for months)...
> > The only hard-coded deps that can't be met at the moment are on the
> > meta-packages for installing all the beryl bits. As mentioned, the
> > initial beryl-core package had no unresolved deps, but subsequent
> > discussion while reviewing other beryl components led to the creation of
> > some meta-packages to make installing all beryl bits easier for
> > end-users.
>
> I appreciate that idea, but it would have been better if you would have
>  waited realizing this idea until the bits that the meta-packages
> requires are at least in CVS and ready to build. ;)

Yeah, definitely. Like I said, I think I just wasn't thinking at the
time, too much going on...

> > I guess I wasn't thinking when I pushed the beryl-core build
> > w/the meta-packages enabled. My apologies for being "totally stupid".
>
> Sorry, maybe I overreacted a bit.

I thought it was maybe a bit harsh for a first offense, but you've been
more involved in FE a lot longer than I have, so I took it with a grain
of salt. A gentle, "hey, please don't do that" would have achieved the
same end -- dialog and education, but no worries.

> But we get more at more of this little
> mistakes and stuff here and there that don't get fixed.

This will definitely get fixed. Once cvs does... :(

> That really annoys me. We really need to be more careful.

Agreed.

> > Of
> > course, this would be (mostly) moot by now had cvs not taken a
> > nose-dive... :)
>
> Yeah, bad luck.
>
>  Anyway, thx for your work on the beryl packages!

:)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com