Adding (parts of) gstreamer-plugins-bad to FE?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Nov 25 14:18:26 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm currently working on getting gstreamer-plugins-bad into that other
repo, and I was thinking that it could actually be a good idea to put it
in FE and only put the parts with troublesome dependencies in FE.

Here is a list of all the plugins in gstreamer-plugins-bad and where the
should / could go:

bz2
Support for bzip2 decompression -> FE

cdxaparse
Supports extracting mpeg1 stream from cdxa cd's, resulting in a raw
mpeg1 stream, doesn't do anything with the actual mpeg data except for
removing the additional headers / info from the cdxa format -> FE

faac
AAC audio support, has a non FE external dep -> other repo

faad
AAC audio support, has a non FE external dep -> other repo

freeze
Make a stream from from buffers of data -> FE

glimagesink
OpenGL video sink -> FE

gsm
GSM audio support, has a non FE external dep -> other repo

mms
MMS microsoft server streaming protocol support, has a non FE external
dep -> other repo

modplug
Supports playing .mod .x3m and other modtracker files through modplug -> FE

musepack
Musepack audio decoding support, needed lib is in FE -> FE

neonhttpsrc
HTTP server support -> FE

pitch
Control pitch of audio through soundtouch, which is in FE -> FE

qt
Quicktime container format support, through own gst code (no libs used),
this one is trouble some. I would really like to see this in FE as this
adds supports for videos made with many digital photo cameras to
gstreamer using applications (usually these camera's just dump a raw
audio stream and a serie of jpeg images into a .mov file.

So where should this one go? I really don't know. Can anyone help here?

sdlvideosink
SDL video sink -> FE

speed
modify speed of a stream -> FE

theoraexp
play theora files with support for the full theora standard through the
experimental version of the xiph decoder -> FE

trm
musicbrainz support through libmusizbrainz -> FE

tta
TTA lossless audio format handling -> No idea help needed

video4linux2
video4linux2 input/output device support -> FE

wavpack
WavPack support, wavpack itself is in FE -> FE

xingheader
Adds a Xing header to the beginning of a VBR MP3 file -> No idea help needed

xvid
divx support -> other repo

So summarising most of gst-plugins-bad can go into FE, except:
faac
faad
gsm
mms
xvid

And we have 3 still open:
qt
tta
xingheader

So I would like to suggest for now that I submit a gstreamer-plugins-bad
package to FE with the 5 not ok and 3 question mark plugins ommited. And
one to that other repo with these 5 + 3 in. Although I would like to see
the 3 questionmarks resolved eventually and the qt one soon if possible.

Regards,

Hans