New Comps Groups

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 00:01:11 UTC 2006

On 11/27/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le lundi 27 novembre 2006 à 15:33 -0500, Brian Pepple a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 13:24 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > We already have a 'package search' interface for finding packages - is
> > > listing 100 (or however many) python-* packages better than this? In
> > > what way? Are they not getting pulled in for dependencies when
> necessary?
> >
> > I'm in agreement with Bill on this.  Pretty much all the python-*
> > packages should be pulled in as dependencies.  Am I missing something
> > here?
>
> It's pretty much impossible to autodetect missing comps entries unless
> every package is systematically put in comps. No autochecking means low
> QA.

I tend to agree here.  When I want to develop PHP, I would like the option
of "just install all the php stuff."  It's easier than doing yum list
available > file; grep -i php file.  Does that make sense?  Here I am an
end-user who does development and find it difficult to find packages. This
is especially true since yum search lists the package and the description,
even if you already have it installed.  I find the whole process rather
frustrating...at least from time to time.  If could just select PHP
Packages, I would be a happy camper.  I understand that might be a big
group, but could you make 'meta group' that would be a pointer to all PHP
packages?  And of course something similar for the other major languages.

MIKE

Also if a group is too big it should be broken up in lighter