Adding (parts of) gstreamer-plugins-bad to FE?

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 15:14:47 UTC 2006

2006/11/27, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:

> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> >> qt
> >> Quicktime container format support, through own gst code (no libs used),
> >> this one is trouble some. I would really like to see this in FE as this
> >> adds supports for videos made with many digital photo cameras to
> >> gstreamer using applications (usually these camera's just dump a raw
> >> audio stream and a serie of jpeg images into a .mov file.
> >>
> >> So where should this one go? I really don't know. Can anyone help here?
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the quicktime *container* format is open;
> > it's just that most of the things put in it usually aren't.
> >

> So that makes 2 votes in favor of qt container support in FE, rest
> assured I'm only talking about *container* support here.
>
> Are there any nay-sayers? Should we pass this through legal first? (no
> please). Anyone who can give a definite YES?

I'm not too familiar with the QT container format, but here's an Apple
developer talking about parts of QuickTime that is patented:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis-dev/2001-October/004846.html

Whether the patent is still valid, or whether it's implemented in
gstreamer-plugins-bad, I don't know.

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                -- Christopher Morley