Adding (parts of) gstreamer-plugins-bad to FE?

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 18:59:19 UTC 2006

2006/11/28, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:

> Michel Salim wrote:

> >> used),
> >> this

> >> here?

> >> open;
> >> >

> >> So that makes 2 votes in favor of qt container support in FE, rest
> >> assured I'm only talking about *container* support here.
> >>
> >> Are there any nay-sayers? Should we pass this through legal first? (no
> >> please). Anyone who can give a definite YES?
> >>
> > I'm not too familiar with the QT container format, but here's an Apple
> > developer talking about parts of QuickTime that is patented:
> >
> > http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis-dev/2001-October/004846.html
> >
> > Whether the patent is still valid, or whether it's implemented in
> > gstreamer-plugins-bad, I don't know.
> >

> IANAL, but the patent referenced there if I understand the mail correctly is about optimising a file when creating one so that it can be easily streamed, that doesn't seem relevant for qt-reading code.

Ah, true. In that case, I'm all for having more Gstreamer plugins made
available out-of-the-box.

Is the intention to put them in one RPM or split them out
one-per-plugin? The former seems better, but what do you want to call
it - gstreamer-plugins-not-so-bad does not really appeal.

Regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                -- Christopher Morley