New Comps Groups

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 30 22:18:23 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 30 novembre 2006 à 16:11 -0500, Jesse Keating a écrit :
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 14:46, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Actually, if I had to redesign the comps model (which probably needs to
> > be done someday) I'd aim for something like this:
>
> Yeah, because that's easy for a packager to know where to put things...

It *does* make it easier for packagers. An individual packager only
needs to add one <package name="mypackage"/> block for each of his
packages, fill it with references to all the categories the package
belongs to, and he's done. For example:

<package name="pid1">
 <category ref="cid17"/>
 <category ref="cid85"/>
</package>

could be

<package name="totem">
 <category ref="multimedia"/>
 <category ref="gnome-desktop"/>
</package>

All the complex application policy stuff happens in the profiles, and
it's not something most packagers care about:
1. every FE comps addition I've seen so far has optional state,
2. the current groups are inherited from FC
2. and we're seing fierce opposition to adding the groups FE
contributors propose

What I'm actually proposing is :
1. let the community define as many categories it feels interesting
2. let individual packagers be responsible for tagging their packages
with all the relevant categories (not difficult, read the category list
and reference the ones you want, which will usually translate in copy
the category list of a similar package)
3. let each team using comps define whatever profile its app needs using
the complete categorisation provided to it by the project

For example

<group>
    <id>gnome-desktop</id>
    <packagelist>
      <packagereq type="default">NetworkManager-gnome</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">alacarte</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">at-spi</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">beagle-gui</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">beagle-evolution</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="mandatory">control-center</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">dasher</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">desktop-printing</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">eog</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">esc</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">evince</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">file-roller</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="optional">gconf-editor</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">gedit</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">gimp-print-utils</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="mandatory">gnome-applets</packagereq>
    <packagelist>
</group>

(+ all the fedora-extras stuff)

Would become something like

<profile rules="anaconda" use="traditional">
<group name="gnome-desktop">
   <content type="mandatory" name="gd-trad-m">
     <package ref="control-center"/>
     <package ref="gnome-applets"/>
   </content>
   <content type="optional" name="gd-trad-o">
     <package ref="dasher"/>
     <package ref="gconf-editor"/>
     <and>
        <category ref="gnome-desktop"/>