Free enough for FE

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Nov 1 14:18:51 UTC 2006

HI,

I'm looking into packaging a game whose game data comes with the following license:

 1) You may distribute this game for free on any medium, provided this readme
and all associated copyright notices and disclaimers are left intact.

 2) You may charge a reasonable copying fee for this archive, and may distribute
it in aggregate as part of a larger & possibly commercial software distribution
(such as a Linux distribution or magazine coverdisk). You must provide proper
attribution and ensure this readme and all associated copyright notices, and
disclaimers are left intact.

 3) You may not charge a fee for the game itself. This includes reselling the
game as an individual item.

 4) You may modify the game as you wish.  You may also distribute modified
versions under the terms set forth in this license, but with the additional
requirement that the work is marked with a prominent notice which states that
it is a modified version.

 5) All game content is (C) Revolution Software Ltd. The ScummVM engine is (C)
The ScummVM Team (www.scummvm.org)

 6) THE GAMEDATA IN THIS ARCHIVE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING AND NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I know this license isn't fully DFSG free, but we're talking about content here, and
this is freely redistributable and may be included on compilation CD's etc.

The only real distribution restriction is: "You may not charge a fee for the game
itself. This includes reselling the game as an individual item." But I see no problem
with this not for Fedora, nor for people who want to base something on Fedora. We've
already allowed stuff with similar restrictions, for example artwork which may only be
used as part of a certain game, and thus may not be distributed by itself, nor sold by
itself.

Regards,

Hans