extras package that simplifies installation of vmware packages ?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 2 14:04:53 UTC 2006

Hi I am thinking of creating a package called vmware-server-prerequisites.
This could have requires of the rpms that need to be installed for
vmware to be able to run. It could also include the any-any patch
{although some people are saying it isn't need with k-2.6.18 / fc6}.
Perhaps also a sub package called vmware-server-console-prerequisites,
that has any packages that it might need.

My understanding is that to be part of fedora-extras, I could not
require the vmware package itself, ie I could only require packages in
core or extras.

Without knowing any details about dkms I would imagine that some
trickery could be performed so that a kernel update causes a vmware
module recompile.

Any thoughts on possibilities and on incorporating such in extras ?

DaveT.