Maintenance policy for older releases

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 9 19:15:58 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 09 novembre 2006 à 11:52 -0500, Michel Salim a écrit :

> > See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/EOL
> This only states what /not/ to do: if the release is in maintenance
> state, only security updates should be issued. Is it stated anywhere
> that for non-maintenance releases, packages should be kept in sync? If
> not, which document in the Wiki should this be entered in?

Some maintainers like to sync all non-maintenance releases. My
understanding is it's a maintainer preference, neither officially
frowned upon nor actively encouraged. The wiki accurately reflects this.

Please note while it would be possible to forbid syncing in the absence
of a problem in the current package, forcing syncing is impossible since
some updates depend on changes in other packages (including core ones
which are *not* synced). Also, 100% syncing would basically mean
everyone is running rawhide.

For those reasons I personally feel we'll move to a release model closer
to Core for Extras once the QA pressure mounts enough. Pushing packages
directly from devel to last release means they don't get good testing.
Once you accept the need for staging releases Fedora cycles are short
enough people who don't which to live on the bleeding edge can wait for
the next release for updates (and people who do want the bleeding edge
can run devel)

--
Nicolas Mailhot