Need some ideas for small project

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Nov 10 14:35:55 UTC 2006

Amit Dey <eamitdey at yahoo.com>:
>   I am a newbie to Linux development and I am looking for a small project.

I've got a possibility for you.

I run a project called 'gpsd'.  It's a daemon that monitors GPSes
attached to your machine. It automatically recognizes and translates
all the funky protocols they use and publishes location information
in a simple format on port 2947.  Project site at <http://gpsd.berlios.de/>.

The gpsd distribution includes test clients.  One of our users suggested
that the test clients should emit audio cues when the GPS acquires or loses
lock.  This is a nice idea for operation while driving.  I have it marked
on my TODO list as a good small project for a newbie.

gpsd is not in Fedora Extras or any other well-known repo, AFAIK.  It
probably should be, as a number of well-known projects (pyGPS, Kismet,
GPSdrive, gpeGPS, position and roadmap) use it.  We have a specfile
all debugged and tested.

It's a fun project -- eight very capable core developers, a bright user
community, and a moderately active mailing list.  Because I'm running
it and I'm kind of obsessive about such things, we have a well-developed
set of tools and procedures for regression testing and code auditing --
good things for a newbie to learn.