beryl: missing deps

Clive Messer clive at vacuumtube.org.uk
Sun Nov 19 20:30:51 UTC 2006

On Sunday 19 November 2006 18:13, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 17:33 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > CCing jwilson at redhat.com, owner of beryl
> >
> > Mamoru Tasaka schrieb:
> > >
> > > Missing deps are under FE-Review or are waiting for FE CVS to
> > > come back again to be rebuilt.
> >
> > Then why the heck was beryl build for FC-6 if it was known that some
> > hardcoded deps were not yet in cvs and not ready to be build? People
> > will run into issues that way when using yum and thus the it's just a
> > totally stupid thing to do in a stable branch (and even quite bad in the
> > deel-branch, too).
> >
> > /me is getting more and more annoyed with all those broken deps and
> > broken upgrade paths (some of them for months)...
>
> The only hard-coded deps that can't be met at the moment are on the
> meta-packages for installing all the beryl bits. As mentioned, the
> initial beryl-core package had no unresolved deps, but subsequent
> discussion while reviewing other beryl components led to the creation of
> some meta-packages to make installing all beryl bits easier for
> end-users. I guess I wasn't thinking when I pushed the beryl-core build
> w/the meta-packages enabled. My apologies for being "totally stupid". Of
> course, this would be (mostly) moot by now had cvs not taken a
> nose-dive... :)

Jarod,

I'm not complaining; really! I've been happily following the devel version of
these packages from wilson.net and waiting for their official release from
extras. Thanks for the work you have put in.

But, forgetting the meta packages for the moment, I would expect at the same
time as beryl-core was pushed to extras, to at least also be able to pull
beryl-manager, beryl-settings, beryl-plugins, emerald and emerald-themes.
What is the point of even making beryl-core available without these packages
also having been released at the same time?

Clive
--
Clive Messer <clive at vacuumtube.org.uk>