desktop-file-install provokes corruption

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Nov 25 10:40:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 11:24 +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
[...]
> /var/tmp/keurocalc-0.9.7-0.1-root-chitlesh/usr/share/applications/keurocalc.desktop:
> error: invalid characters in value of key "Keywords[tr]", keys of type
> string may contain ASCII characters except control characters
[...]

That's a desktop-file-{install,validate} issue which should have been
fixed in recent versions: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/172423

> To me, it has something to do with the non ascii caracters, so in
> order to rpmbuild successfully, I'm using this instead:
>
> # to skip the Lost&Found menu
> echo "Categories=Application;Office;" >> \
>     %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/applnk/Applications/%{name}.desktop
>
> Anyone has a clean solution to propose ?

The above looks like an acceptable workaround to me, assuming it does
what's intended.

By the way, the "Application" category is non-standard and AFAIK there
shouldn't be any need to use it nowadays, and you should be installing
the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications,
not /usr/share/applnk/Applications