Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-11-24

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Nov 25 15:06:42 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:12:08 -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:

> On 11/24/06, Alain PORTAL wrote:
> >
> > > Broken packages in fedora-extras-4-ppc:

> > >     plague-0.4.4.1-2.fc4.noarch  requires  createrepo >= 0:0.4.3

> > How long whe have to endure these messages?
> > That been going on for more than 8 months...
> > Haven't we had about enough of this?
> >
> > If there is no packager, orphan it!
>
> Personally I don't see any point in flooding the mailing lists each
> and every day with this stuff.  If you already have the maintainers
> e-mail addresses then use those, don't spam everyone else on the
> list....

Well, I think you misunderstood what Alain tried to point out. There are
packages in FE which are broken for a very long time. Meanwhile, FC3 and
FC4 have been transferred to Fedora Legacy, and since not even FESCO cares
about this, they remain broken.

Btw, the report could be appended to the build report (although that would
delay the mail by approximately an hour and would create a not so nice
dependency between push scripts and broken deps report).

The report is not "spam", and one message per day is far from a flood.
It is just one report some packagers hate, because it shows where FE sucks
quite a lot (ABI breakage, e.g.).