Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-11-24

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Nov 25 15:47:48 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt schrieb:
>>> How long whe have to endure these messages?
>>> That been going on for more than 8 months...
>>> Haven't we had about enough of this?
>>> If there is no packager, orphan it!
>> Personally I don't see any point in flooding the mailing lists each
>> and every day with this stuff.  If you already have the maintainers
>> e-mail addresses then use those, don't spam everyone else on the
>> list....
> Well, I think you misunderstood what Alain tried to point out. There are
> packages in FE which are broken for a very long time. Meanwhile, FC3 and
> FC4 have been transferred to Fedora Legacy, and since not even FESCO cares
> about this, they remain broken.

It looks like FE3 and FE4 will soon be dropped quite soon. Some details at
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20061122
(search for the first occurrence of FE3). More will follow in a mail
from bpepple -- he wanted to work out the details and post a RFC to
f-e-l/f-maintainers.

BTW, FESCo has to set priorities, too. The above problem (and all those
packagers which have broken deps for quite some time) really annoys me a
lot (and they make the reports quite useless because they are so long
that probably nobody reads them anymore) -- but I and FESCo can't do
everything alone (FESCo members do their FESCo work in their spare time,
too) and there are IMHO things on the FESCo todo-list that are more
important currently. I'd really like it if someone that cares (in an
ideal world: the QA-Sig) and has some spare cycles just would step up
and fix all those stuff that easily fixable -- this policy allow that:
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages

The above problem is not easily fixable. My vote is to simply ship a
update createrepo in Extras or ignore it for now as the dists are
probably EOL soon. But the real solution is to prevent in the future
that a package with broken deps ever hit the repo (that would afaics
have prevented this particular problem) .

CU
thl