Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-11-24

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Nov 25 16:22:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 07:48:31 -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:

> Okay here is the problem I see from my perspective:
>
> Every single day I see this report come in, and every single day I do
> not see any of my packages listed.
>
> - This is tedious, I do not want to have to read a report every day to
> see if any of my packages are broken.  Instead I should be notified
> via e-mail or bugzilla about breakage of my package.

???

That sounds as if you don't know that package owners do receive a private
email when their package is broken. The mail is sent again every 14 days
as long as the package remains broken. Those private messages are also
summed up at the bottom of the big report to this list. It is just
a "summary", not a report you must read everytime.

> - Some packages in the report cannot be fixed or are simply ignored
> because the breakage exists in legacy.

No. The breakage is in either Extras or Core and ages until Core is so old
that it is transferred to Legacy.

> There needs to be a way to
> blacklist these packages from showing up in the report or else send
> them to another interested party such as fedora-legacy

I've suggested a black-list several times before without clear
feedback. Black-listing packages is like hiding something under the
carpet. I can implement that if that is what we want.

One step closer to the infamous dumping-ground of poorly maintained packages.