Summary - Broken dependencies in Fedora Extras - 2006-11-24

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:54:30 UTC 2006

On 11/26/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> > [...]
> >> I'd really like it if someone that cares (in an
> >> ideal world: the QA-Sig) and has some spare cycles just would step up
> >> and fix all those stuff that easily fixable -- this policy allow that:
> >> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/WhoIsAllowedToModifyWhichPackages
> > This doesn't fit too well into your scheme, as it results in some
> > volunteers breaking stuff, other volunteers trying to fix the breakage.
> > When the community gets
>
> Well, I think we need someone like a QA group to fix things for other
> people now and then. But the QA Sig could also handle what you outlined
> above, e.g. somehow put pressure on the contributors so they fix their
> stuff on their own.

IIRC, tibbs did this a few months ago on a package that was in the
report for months and after he launched a rebuild the maintainer came
on this message list and lambasted tibbs for launching a rebuild.
tibbs then got upset and said he would never attempt to help out in
this regard again.

I think there was some technical reason why the rebuild should not
have been done, so there needs to be a way for a developer to say, I
cannot fix this dependency problem because of some other issue, and
request QA SIGs to not push rebuilds.