l2tpd to xl2tpd request

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Nov 26 22:32:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am currently the maintainer of l2tpd, an L2TP daemon for use with IPsec.
Upstream has stopped about a year ago with maintaining this version.

Xelerance (which is my other hat) has forked this source into xl2tpd
in August this year. Since then, the l2tpd package in FE has more or
less been our xl2tpd package - that is l2tpd-0.69 with the Xelerance
patches. These are not just bugfixes (for Windows XP tunnel closing bugs),
but also feature enhancements, such as IPsec Security Association tracking
to support multiple l2tp/ipsec clients behind the same NAT router, and
different l2tp/ipsec clients using the same internal NAT'ed IP behind
different NAT routers.

It does not seem to make much sense to me to support xl2tpd in two
versions. One from Xelerance and one as a diff set to the original for FE.
xl2tpd is a superset of l2tpd features - no functionality is lost.

I would like to replace the l2tpd package with the xl2tpd package.

Since I am usptream for xl2tpd, there is a formal conflict of interest,
so I would like to get the green light from people on the list here.

xl2tpd-1.1.06 completes the migration and rename of config files and
binaries.  It also supports migrating existing configurations from
/etc/l2tpd/ to /etc/xl2tpd/

The xl2tpd package is a continuation of the FE aproved l2tpd package and can
be checkd at:

ftp://ftp.xelerance.com/xl2tpd/xl2tpd.spec
ftp://ftp.xelerance.com/xl2tpd/xl2tpd-1.1.06-1.src.rpm

The Changelog upto the original changelog follows. Note that part of this
was already in the FE l2tpd package as patches to the original l2tpd source.

I would really prefer to obsolete l2tpd for xl2tpd, but if someone is set
on maintaining the l2tpd package, I see no problem in handing it over.
Paul

v1.1.06
* Build xl2tpd and use /etc/xl2tpd/xl2tpd.* configuration files with fallback
  to /etc/l2tpd/l2tpd.* configuration files.
* Support for pppol2tp's kernel mode L2TP.
  Patch by Cedric Schieli <cschieli at gmail.com>
* Documented IPsec SA reference tracking for usewith Openswan
* Added patents documentation.
* Migration support on xl2tpd.spec for l2tpd -> xl2tpd
* Moved to use /etc/xl2tpd/ and /usr/sbin/xl2tpd

v1.1.05
* Changed versioning scheme to match Xelerance standards
* IPsec SA reference tracking added (used with Openswan's IPsec transport mode)
  This adds support for multiple clients behind the same NAT router, and
  multiple clients on the same internal IP behind different NAT routers.
* Fix for Windows clients that send the wrong tunnel ID for closing tunnels

v1.04
* actually, 1.03 tag in GIT was in the wrong place. This is the right release.

v1.03
* fixes for gcc 4.xx compilation

v1.02
* udpated CHNANGELOG

v1.01
* various debugging added, but debugging should not be on by default
* async/sync conversion routines must be ready for possibility that the read
  will block due to routing loops
* refactored control socket handling.
* use man page in doc/
* move all logic about pty usage to pty.c try ptmx first. if it fails try
  legacy ptys
* rename log() to l2tp_log(), as "log" is a math function.

v1.00
* First version managed by Xelerance, called xl2tpd.
* If we aren't deamonized, then log to stderr.
* added install: and DESTDIR support