New Comps Groups

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Nov 27 23:19:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 14:19 -0800, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 11/27/06, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > It's pretty much impossible to autodetect missing comps entries unless
> > > every package is systematically put in comps. No autochecking means low
> > > QA.
> >
> > But the entire point is that everything _SHOULDN'T_ be there.  If so,
> > then it's no better than a list[1]
>
> How is adding a half dozen new groups to Development in comps going to
> reduce comps to be noting better than yum list '*'?

The problem is that you're using the argument of "all packages need to
be in comps, so we need to add groups" when comps was _never_ intended
to be an exhaustive list of every package.

Trying to solve "forgotten" packages by making _every_ package be listed
is a losing battle and makes comps far less useful than it was intended
to be.  You'd be better off solving that problem with a) include it as a
step in the review process and b) integration with the push scripts to
provide notification/questioning when a new package is added to the
repository and isn't listed in comps.

Jeremy