.h files in non-devel package?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Nov 28 06:29:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 21:48 -0800, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 21:07 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Thus Gérard is right, -devel subpackage is not needed.
> >
> > Why not call the main package -devel and forget the whole issue?
>
> In and of itself, it is *only* a development package, similar to the GNU
> toolchain (gcc/binutils/etc). Hence, (as I see it) there is no need for
> the -devel naming since it does not have a corresponding runtime-only
> component.
Right.

Problems only arise in longer terms, if this package is being added
apps.

Then, a split into '*-devel" and 'nondevel" is helpful to avoid the apps
pulling in other deps.

Example: Imagine a c-library, being added c++ apps.
If the "devel" and "nondevel" are not split, the package will
unnecessarily pull in the c++-runtime deps (which could be a long chain
of run-time libraries)

Therefore, my recommendation is to name a "development" package
"*-devel", though it's not technically strictly required.

The GNU-toolchain is a bit different. It basically is a set of
applications (Note applications, not libraries), being accompanied with
some libraries packaged outside of the application packages.

To the library packages, the same general considerations as to other
libraries apply. They should be split into devel and non-devel.

Ralf