Adding (parts of) gstreamer-plugins-bad to FE?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Nov 28 15:56:17 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, 28 November 2006 at 16:14, Michel Salim wrote:
> 2006/11/27, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>:
> >

> >Bill Nottingham wrote:

> >> I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the quicktime *container* format is
> >open;
> >> it's just that most of the things put in it usually aren't.
> >>

> >So that makes 2 votes in favor of qt container support in FE, rest
> >assured I'm only talking about *container* support here.
> >
> >Are there any nay-sayers? Should we pass this through legal first? (no
> >please). Anyone who can give a definite YES?
> >
> I'm not too familiar with the QT container format, but here's an Apple
> developer talking about parts of QuickTime that is patented:
>
> http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis-dev/2001-October/004846.html
>
> Whether the patent is still valid, or whether it's implemented in
> gstreamer-plugins-bad, I don't know.

[...] The hint track notion, (which I think is the patented part) provides
a way to construct packets to stream over RTP by reading existing media
data. [...]

And he's not even sure about that. What patent would that be?

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora Extras contributor http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski